Some days ago I published an infografic about the Google ranking factors for the “Websearch”. This time I did this for the Google image-search. What are the important ranking factors? The infographic shows the main signals. So if you want to optimize your website-images: print it out for free and think about it – just while you create new images. It could help a lot. Please feel free to share or Print (click on the image for larger version for printing).
This infografic based on my article “Optimizing images for Google-imageSearch – image SEO basics”
- What I observe the image filename lost a little bit of importance.
- On the other hand the “Alt-Text” gets more heavyness.
- A lot of changes in the Google image-search bease on the new factor freshness. If you search for example the actual Google-Doodles you could see some brand new images.
- Google told us that “the quality of the embedding page” will be more important. But it is unclear how Google will check this. Perhaps at this point the websearch-algorithim and the images-search-algorithim overlap. Source (point 1)
- I am not sure of the impact of hotlinks. Google said some times ago: “… we decided to retire a signal in Image Search related to images that had references from multiple documents on the web.” In my eyes it sounds like hotlinks lost their influence. But I didn’t observe great changes. Perhaps I am wrong… Source (point 6)
- Social Networks just have a little and will have a deep impact on Google images. Not directly but because of sharing images. Multiple use of an image is one of the most important ranking-factor.
Hope this helps you to rank better with your images. Feel free to share :-)
Here the german version.